Cool down with an icy treat made with in-season produce. This easy recipe requires no ice cream making equipment.
- 2 medium cucumbers (peeled and seeded)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 pint (small handful) of black raspberries
- 12 spearmint leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch of zest from the lemon
- Add cucumbers, half of the sugar, black raspberries, mint leaves, lemon juice and zest into a food processor or blender.
- Process until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into freezer-safe container.
- Add water and stir.
- Taste mixture for desired sweetness. Add additional sugar and stir if needed.
- Freeze and check on occasionally to stir (once every hour or every other hour should work).
- To serve: Use a sturdy fork to scrape flakes of ice. Scoop out and enjoy.
* You can easily turn this recipe into popsicles by adding the mixture to ice cube trays and adding popsicle sticks (or tooth picks)! Wait until the mixture has started to freeze before transferring it to the ice cube trays.